Sunday, January 11, 2009

One week

Well one week ago today our lives changes forever and it has been such a blessing. We could not ask for anything more! This week has definitely shown us both the ups and downs of being new parents. Caleb has been jaundice this whole time peaking at 16.8 on the Bili-Reuben tests. We had to take him to the pediatrician 4 times in 3 days, but Friday we got the news that his number had dropped to 15! Praise the Lord!

For the most part Jill and I are exhausted with the occasional 3 hour nap in between feedings and trying to get him back to sleep. Unfortunately he has gotten his days and nights switched up so he falls back o sleep pretty fast after feedings during the day, but come night time he stays awake forever then by the time we get him into his bassinet he is hungry again and the cycle continues. Fortunately this too shall pass and Jill and I will be able to get a few more hours of sleep at one time...sooner or later :-) For now, Jill is sleeping when the baby does and I have tried to do the same.

Jill is doing great and has been feeling better each day. We are working through the nursing deal, but for now we are supplementing with formula, and whatever she can get through pumping. We hope and pray that this won't be the norm because it is so expensive, but we will do what we need to do to give him what he needs.

All in all things are really good! I think that I have definitely gotten past the surreal stage and get that this is it. We have a son and he is a great gift from God. It has been great to sit with him and see him stare back at me even though I know he can't quite make me out. I got a little emotional yesterday as I stared into his eyes and just prayed for him. That the Lord will heal him from the jaundice, that he will know Christ as his personal Savior, that I will be a great father for him, that he will know joy and happiness that only One can give. I heard over and over again how having kids would change your life and how things are just different, but one cannot completely understand it until they hold their very own in their arms. Until their heart stops when their baby stops breathing for a split second because he is crying so hard, or jump out of bed when you hear even the slightest whimper hoping that every thing is OK. I have prayed daily that God will protect him as he sleeps, and the Lord has been good! We are excited to see what the Lord is going to do in this little persons life and can't wait to see what is next.

Here are a few pics since the hospital. We are obviously bias, but we think he is a stinkin' cute kid!


We are not sure why, but he has this frown on his face quite a bit. He has a whole bunch more faces, but we haven't quite captured those yet. People say he gets that from me (Aaron), go figure ;-)

Aaron

4 comments:

JulieL said...

Oh my gosh that third picture is priceless! I'm so sad I can't be there to get some cuddle time with your little man. Enjoy every moment, it goes way to fast. Anthony is going to be seven in March and I realized my baby days are really, really over. It's a tad sad if I fess up. Hugs from all us Leacocks!

Amy H said...

So cute!

Anonymous said...

Love the baby pictures! Congrats guys!

Anonymous said...

(This is Michelle Cooper)
Awww... He is sooo precious. I love the pictures and hearing how things are really going! Thanks for being so honest -we'll be praying for the jaundice, nursing, sleep deprivation and overall parenting adjustments. I'll pass along something a friend told me. "They grow and change so quickly that if something's a problem one week, the next it's not! Also,they don't stay little forever - remember you will sleep again!" :)